Animals and essential oils
If your pet or animal has a medical issue, please consult with your veterinarian before administering essential oils.
When I say that essential oils can be enjoyed by the whole family, I mean the fur-babies too! Why should they be left out of the fun? But because our pets can’t tell us how oils make them feel, and are generally more sensitive to scents and oils than humans, we should proceed with caution and keep a few salient points in mind
- Start by heavily diluting oils and using in moderation. For instance, use one drop of oil mixed with 4-5 drops of carrier oil. Monitor your pets reaction before proceeding further. For larger pets, decrease dilution as needed. Smaller animals should always be given a diluted dose.
- Do not apply oils near a pets eyes, nose, mouth or other sensitive areas.
- Do not use hot oils such as Wintergreen or Peppermint
- Avoid using high-phenol oils such as Oregano, Clove and Thyme with any animals, especially cats. Also, cats are generally adverse to citrus oils.
- The smaller the animal, the less oil you should use.
- To acclimate your animal to the scents of essential oils, try diffusing or wearing the oils as you are near your pet.
- to apply topically:
- For cats and dogs, the paws and pads are a great place to start
- For hooved animals, apply to spine or flank
- Try rubbing oils on your hands and then stroking on your pets fur
- For larger areas, try mixing with water or carrier oils and spraying on your animal. (Be careful around the eyes!)
- Use Animal Scents Ointment to seal and protect any area where oils have been applied, if desired.
- Use Young Living’s Animal Scents line of shampoo, oils, and ointment for optimum health and wellness of your pet!
- The most effective and easiest way to keep your pet’s coat in tip-top condition is by using Animal Scents™ Shampoo. Imbued with the power of citronella, lavandin, lemon, and geranium, our pet shampoo gently cleanses, protects, and conditions without harmful ingredients.
- Animal Scents® Ointment is a protective, soothing salve designed specifically for external use on animals. The gentle and safe formula is enhanced with pure Tea Tree (Melaleuca Alternifolia) and Myrrh, two of nature’s most powerful essential oils.
- Ensure your pets overall wellness with these essential oils blends:
- Animal Scents® Dental Pet Chews are tasty treats that support oral health with specially designed ridges that gently remove buildup on your pet’s teeth.
A portion of all proceeds from Animal Scents products goes to support Vital Ground, a nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting the habitat of grizzly bears and other wide-roaming wildlife.
Click HERE to order today!
*Disclaimer: I provide my personal opinion and experiences with essential oils, and I am not endorsed by the Young Living Corporation. None of what I talk about on this site has been evaluated by the FDA, nor is it intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. I am not a registered physician and I encourage you to discuss your health concerns with your own doctor. I simply share resources and tools based on my own personal experiences.